This week is the North American Music Manufacturers annual trade show. There’s going to be a dinner with users and employees of DP, a program I use to record music. I’m hoping to show off Jambalaya. What would be the coolest is if some established company would take over marketing Jambalaya and hired me to do future development. That would be my dream gig more or less.
OK, its not likely to happen, but I can dream. Although if things don’t pick up next month, marketing that is likely to move to the forefront as I’ll have nothing else going on.
So far WWDC has been very useful. I came with a checklist of about 10 items I wanted to add to JambaLaya but was having trouble with and I got them all more or less knocked out. Among those:
Custom font bundling – there’s some black art here and it took two days to find the guy who knows how that works. It is possible that people downloading JambaLaya have been getting it rendered with really ugly fonts. If you’ve downloaded it and it doesn’t look like the picture, I’d like know because I think I’ve been getting fooled by system installed fonts. Fixed.
Key indicator highlighting on key range mapping. I couldn’t get this to draw reliably due to threading issues. Fixed. Makes it much easier to see where your keys are because hitting a key on the keyboard animates it in the mapper.
Adding side chain routing to audio unit views – since these are often carbon views (ICK) adding UI is kind of nasty – but someone suggested I stick a drawer on the bottom – cool. It was kind of tricky to get working with carbon window but we made it work in the end. Expect side chaining and other custom add-ons to appear in audio unit views.
Clock and Tempo. For working with things like Stylus RMX adding ways to communicate song tempo and beat clock. JambaLaya will also get the ability to both supply timing or sync to external timing and will get transport controls.
Some other goodies I’m not talking about yet.
Expect 1.1.0 early with all the bugs fixed by next week. New features as I get time.
In other WWDC news, iPhone app development is HOT HOT HOT. I confess to developing iPhone envy looking at how much use people get.
Today I uploaded a whole bunch of shots and comments – primarily to serve as a proxy for a user’s manual. It is such a straight forward simple app, I can’t imagine it needs much of a manual. Basically live music performance oriented MIDI and audio processing.
About the only thing preventing a full on launch is the back end stuff to take payments and issue serial numbers, and finishing up the serial number handling in the application. It doesn’t adequately cripple things if there is no serial yet. Few more bottlenecks to install checks into. Also, one little bug with lyric editing. Minor, but a little annoying.
I’ve been working on it like crazy, stomping bugs and adding polish. It is pretty close to RC. Still need to add registration and complete the website infrastructure to automate dispensing of serials. I’m sure it will be huge because I just added the killer must-have feature.
Behold – Murph and the MagicTones Mode!
JambaLaya covered in “Thick Red Shag!” No other Audio Units host has that! Take that MainStage!
I finally got the JambaLaya website looking decent – installed Drupal’s forum module, did a lot of work on a theme. It needs more marketing stuff – more recent screen shots and better feature exposition – but as a start its not bad.
If you’ve downloaded JambaLaya and tried it – the place to report bugs is definitely in the forums.